When your goal is to “sell my house” in a for sale by owner deal in Australia, keep in mind that staging and prepping your home is of utmost importance. Any home seller would love to sell their property quickly and bring in as much proceeds from the sale as possible and we’re sure you’re no exception.
The great news is that it’s not good luck that will lead you to a serious buyer. With the right planning and preparation, you can have a house that’s ready to attract and lure in real estate buyers. Even buyers who need a property now and not later will still assess your house with discerning eyes. Read on to know how to stage and prep your home so you can make it very appealing to the people walking in through your door.
Distance Yourself from Useless Emotions
There are positive emotions that help close the sale in a “for sale by owner” real estate deal. Emotions like feeling motivated and ready to face a new chapter in your life are the ones we’re talking about. Be aware, however, that there are emotions that, instead of helping you find a buyer for your house, hinder your success.
One of the most common negative emotions we see in people who are trying to sell their house is being too attached to the house. If you want to find a buyer, you’ll need to pack up the personal mementos in your house and be willing to say goodbye. Buyers don’t want to walk into a house and see your personal items. The goal is to make the buyers envision their own lives and loved ones in the house, not yours.
You don’t want to distract buyers. The last thing you need is a buyer wondering what kind of people you are. Aim for potential buyers instead to wonder what it will be like for them to live in the house and make the prospect seem as attractive as possible.
From your end, you’ll also need to remind yourself that the place for sale is a house, not your home. Think of the real estate property as a product that needs to be sold. The less emotional you are about the house, the more you can see it from an objective point of view. Accept that the house is no longer yours and will be welcoming a new owner very soon. The very act of having the mental picture of a new buyer and owner will help you close the deal, as opposed to being attached to the house.
To help you create a mental picture, here are some tips:
- Imagine yourself giving the house keys to the new and very excited owners.
- Walk through the house and bid goodbye to each room, especially the spots you’re most emotionally connected to.
- Have enthusiasm for the future. This is not the time to live in the past.
Rearrange Cabinets and Closets
Trust us when we say home buyers love to look inside cabinets, closets and even ovens and dishwashers! Make sure no items fall out. Don’t give them a nasty surprise when they peek inside a closet and are greeted with a pile of junk. When buyers see storage spaces are organized, most of them will assume you take great care of the entire home.
Here are more tips to help you stage your house so it will appeal to the most organized potential buyer:
- Stack dishes in a neat fashion. Never leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Organize your spice jars alphabetically.
- Have coffee cup handles face the same direction.
- When hanging shirts, make sure they’re all buttoned up and facing the same way.
Get rid of clutter like they’re the devil!
De-Cluttering is a must. You’d be surprised to learn the huge amount of junk most of us collect. A good rule of the thumb is if you haven’t used an item for an entire year, chances are you don’t need it. Consider donating your “treasures”.
When expecting potential buyers, get rid of knickknacks. Remove all items from kitchen counters, save for decorative pieces like a bottle of unopened wine and fresh fruits. For essential items that you’ll be using before your house sells, keep them in a box that you can neatly store in a closet.
The best part of de-cluttering your home to impress potential buyers is you’re hitting two birds with one stone. Not only are you staging your home, you’re also kick-starting your packing!
Rent Storage Space
Less is more when it comes to furniture. Having too much will make any room appear smaller. Get rid of furniture that blocks walkways in all rooms. Get rid of extra chairs in the dining room table and the room will instantly look bigger.
Don’t get rid of every piece of furniture, though. Leave enough pieces so you can showcase the purpose of each room. A clean desk and good quality chair in the home office will appeal to people and will help them envision themselves working in the room. You don’t want people wondering what a room is used for.
Never Skip Minor Repairs
Fixing the house doesn’t have to mean taking out a huge loan just so you can afford the repairs. Minor repairs can make a tremendous amount of difference.
- Replace cracked counter tiles in the kitchen and in all bathrooms.
- Fix leaky plumbing.
- Patch all holes found in walls.
- Repair doors that can’t be closed properly. Fix all drawers that tend to jam.
- The safest option in paint is to paint walls using neutral colours.
- Replace all burnt light bulbs.
Allow the House to Shine
You want your house to glow and you only have one chance to make a first impression in a “for sale by owner” real estate deal. For people who are thinking “I want to sell my house fast”, this list is a must-read:
- Remove cobwebs.
- Wash all windows thoroughly.
- Clean the whole refrigerator.
- Rent a pressure washer so you can spray clean the sidewalks and all the exterior of your home.
- Polish chrome items like faucets and cabinet handles. Wash all mirrors.
- Vacuum every day.
- Wax wooden floors.
- Dust all the furniture, including fans and light fixtures.
- Replace or get rid of old rugs.
- Place fresh towels in the bathrooms.
- Air out any room that smells. Odours are a complete no-no if you’re showing your house.
We regularly update this blog to help our customers sell their house fast in Australia. Follow us on Facebook so you get updates whenever a new post is up.